Monday, March 1, 2010

The governor versus foster kids

by Luis Madrid
Published 2/27/10 on http://www.mercedsunstar.com/
A few months ago, at age 19 Gary, a former foster youth, was forced to find answers to devastating questions: Where I am going to live? Will I eat today? Will I ever be able to pursue my dream of attending college?

After entering Aspiranet Transitional Housing Placement-Program (THP-Plus) on October 2009, in Merced County, Gary's questions and concerns shifted drastically.

He now is asking himself completely different more age-appropriate questions: What do I need to do to make sure I pass all 12 units I am signed up for at the local college? How can I move up in my job? What should I cook for dinner today? How should I arrange my apartment? Do I have a few hours this weekend to go to the movies?

"I honestly don't know where I would be without it," Gary said of THP-Plus. "I know I would not be pursuing this accounting career and working at the local college as a lab assistant. More importantly, I don't know if I would have a roof over my head or a place to call home." Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment